-->
Menu bar giving you trouble? Browse the blog categories here!

Please Note:

We are temporarily at LisaRaub.blogspot.com while we (my "web-design daughter," Sharon and I) work on a new website! Thanks so much for sticking with us!

Friday, December 23, 2011

Looking For the Right Thing This Christmas

Christmas is a wonderful time of year for me and, although I’m missing several family members (Jonathan is now married, and both Kathryn and her family and Stephen are half a country away), I still find much to rejoice about.  After all, Christmas is not just about family.

image credit
I remember a Christmas many years ago when they said that the star of Bethlehem had reappeared.  Of course, this had my little brain scrambling.  "Does that mean there’s another Jesus?  Where could he be?”  I looked and looked out the frosty window, but couldn’t seem to see what everyone else around me was seeing.  None of the stars looked at all like the one on the top of my tree!  In reality, I was looking for the wrong thing.

image credit

My brothers and sister had spotted what they called “The Star of Bethlehem,” and were pointing and laughing.  To this day, I have no idea what star it was that they saw,  but they seemed thrilled that they found what they wanted – the very Star of Bethlehem!  Or, at least that’s what they thought.  They may very well have been mistaken, but it got me thinking.

Isn’t that what so many of us do at Christmastime?  We look for the wrong thing.  No matter how much we know that happiness is not in possessions, we still get like giddy children on Christmas morning when we get just what we want.  And we can be quite downcast when we don’t get what we want.

image credit

And then the family comes to visit, and if it’s just right, we’re so happy.  But if a tiff starts up between some siblings, or if Aunt Suzie burns the rolls, it could ruin our day!  Why?  Because we were looking for the wrong thing.  We were looking for a perfect Holiday, or some glorious Little-House-on-the-Prairie-moment, rather than a simple celebration of the Saviour coming to earth.

What are we looking for this Christmas?  Are we perhaps looking for the wrong thing?  Do those around us see it, are they pointing and ribbing each other, while we stand at the window not seeing?  Let us think carefully about our Holiday, keeping our spiritual eyes looking for Jesus, and we will not turn away from the window disappointed.

image credit

Merry Christmas, dear ones!  I hope your Holidays are full of the wonderful things of God.

2 comments:

♥ my diary♥ said...

nice post! thank you for sharing...happy holidays...blessings soraya

Aliene said...

Blessings on you and your family today. I hope we all look for the right thing today. We are going to church ~ then having a meal with each other. No children present but
thank God ~ Our Savior is present and that is the main thing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...