-->
Menu bar giving you trouble? Browse the blog categories here!

Please Note:

We are temporarily at LisaRaub.blogspot.com while we (my "web-design daughter," Sharon and I) work on a new website! Thanks so much for sticking with us!

Saturday, January 28, 2012

An Unbelievable Sight!

The other day, Sharon and I were sitting outside talking and enjoying the beauty of the Southern California winter.  I love to watch the different kinds of birds that migrate here to spend the winter in a warmer climate.  I had my camera with me, ready to take any pictures of beauty that presented itself.

What Sharon and I saw as we sat there was something so unbelievable, so incredible, and unusual, that if I hadn't seen it myself, I would not believe it!

I love herons, but I'm reconsidering.  You'll see why in the next few pictures.

I always thought herons went fishing, but this one went "squirreling!"  Here the ground is INFESTED with ground squirrels, with holes about every foot or so in the field.  They're simply EVERYWHERE!  But Mr. Heron must have decided that getting a meal in the field is easier than getting it in the water!


Here he is, ever so still, and very gracefully taking very...careful...steps.


Slowly, ever so carefully, he puts out a foot and moves closer to his desired "squirreling" spot.


Spying his meal, he stands literally frozen to the spot.


Slowly, carefully, he crouches down, ready to attack.


ZAP!  He got it!  But the question is, what did he get?


I was astounded when I realized that it was a baby squirrel!!


Poor thing.  You can see his legs sticking out of Mr. Heron's beak.



Yikes!  A squirrel-eating bird??!!??


What if he chokes??  Would he turn blue?



There you have it, ladies and gentlemen.  Proof positive that Herons eat rodents.  Like I said, I don't know that I like herons quite as well as I used to.  Now, if they ate rats, that might be a different story.




Meal finished, Mr. Heron goes on to look for more.  

Am I glad I'm not a ground squirrel!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...